When you’re on the hunt for a toilet, there are surprisingly many factors that you should consider to ensure that you’re getting the most for your money. Some of the most important factors to consider are the dimensions and sizes of your toilets. You want to make sure that you are getting the right size toilet to fit your bathroom and that the front of the toilet doesn’t come out too far from the wall. If this is something you’ve been struggling with, you’re not alone.
It is essential to have enough room in your bathroom without wasting any area that you can use. This is especially important if you will be installing toilets in a public bathroom where you need to consider the sizes of the stalls. In this article, we will tell you everything you’ll need to know about getting the right size toilet for your bathroom.
Toilet Seat Dimensions
The first factor you will need to know when determining what size of toilet you’ll need is the type of toilet bowl you would prefer to have. There are two main types.
- Elongated: The elongated toilet has an oval front design, and it is generally considered the more comfortable option. When determining the toilet dimensions of elongated toilets, understand that these tend to be between 2-3 inches longer than the toilet dimensions of standard toilets.
- Round: Round-front toilets tend to be more readily available than elongated toilet bowls. These do not take up as much space in your bathroom. It has a more circular design and is great for bathrooms where you need to make the most use out of your space as possible.
In terms of the sizes of the bowls, you will especially want to pay attention to their width and length if you will be installing toilets in a public bathroom. You’ll also want to ensure that they don’t come out too far in the front. Round toilet bowls are generally the better option for smaller stalls. However, people are more likely to find elongated toilet seats in public bathrooms since they are more comfortable. The same goes for private bathrooms. The length of the toilet seat is measured from the mounting holes on the toilet seat until the front.
Elongated toilet seats are typically between 18 and 19 inches, and round toilet seats are between 16 and 17 inches. Width is another critical point to consider so that your bathroom won’t feel too cramped. The width of both types of bowls tends to be between 14 and 14.5 inches.
Standard Toilet Dimension
In addition, you also need to know the toilet dimensions for American standard toilets. For toilet dimensions in inches, you will typically find toilets between 27 and 30 inches high with a width of 20 inches and a depth between 28 and 30 inches. Finally, the rough-in is another critical aspect of toilet measurements. This is, essentially, the distance from the toilet’s closet bolts to the back wall. The rough-in is usually between 10 and 14 inches for most toilets.
Another critical aspect of determining what toilet would fit in your bathroom is the seat height. This is especially true if you are getting a toilet for the bathroom of a child, older adult, or disabled. The seat height is essentially how tall a toilet is from the floor to the top.
This also will impact the toilet supply line that you should get because they also vary in length, and the water supply line connects from the tank to the wall. So essentially, there are two different kinds of toilets based on seat height.
- Standard height: As the name suggests, this is the way that average toilets are built. The dimensions of these are meant to suit the average, non-disabled person. They are typically 15 inches, although some can be up to 17 inches tall. They are the most common for private bathrooms, especially if you have children at home who need a shorter seat. If you have a lot of wall space, you can also add storage.
- Chair height: If you have ever been in a handicapped bathroom, you might have noticed that the height of the toilet tends to be taller than the average toilet. That is because these toilets are chair-height. This means that people who have restricted mobility will have an easier time sitting down. These toilets tend to range between 17 and 19 inches off the ground. You also can generally purchase other equipment, such as bars, so that someone with a physical disability can have an easier time using the bathroom.
Height is one of the most important factors when it comes to measuring a toilet. Most of the time, you’re only going to need a standard toilet, but you’re going to want to consider physical capabilities. Also, if you have any shelves above your toilet or want to install storage units on the wall, you’ll need to make sure that the height of the toilet will fit.
How Many Pieces?
Aside from the standard toilet model, many new toilets have different features that you could use in different bathrooms. You will want to consider whether you plan on getting a one- or two-piece toilet for your bathroom so that you can get more accurate measurements.
Two-piece toilets are the most common choice for private bathrooms. They are less expensive. These toilets have the bowl bolted to the tank, which will be attached to the back wall. One-piece toilets tend to be popular because they are easier to clean, but depending on the type you choose, you may need to modify the water supply line and other plumbing features.
How to Measure Your Toilet
Finally, we’re going to discuss how you should measure your toilet now that you know what you need to look out for. You’ll want to measure your old toilet before buying and installing a toilet.
- Toilet-to-wall dimensions: This is arguably the most important measurement that you’re going to make. This determines how far out your toilet goes from the wall. You’ll need to get a tape measure and, once again, measure your old toilet before getting a new one. For this part, you’re going to measure the rough-in, which is the distance between the center of the bolts next to the drain pipe and the wall. This is typically 12 inches, although the rough-in can range between 10-14 inches.
- Width: This is relatively simple to measure. Determine whether the toilet tank or the bowl is wider. Then, you’re going to want to measure from the left edge to the right edge. The widths of toilets vary, but it’s a general rule of thumb that you’ll want to allocate at least 30 inches in your bathroom for your toilet. This will also enable you to move comfortably whenever you use the bathroom.
- Depth: The depth of the toilet refers to the distance from the back to the front of the toilet. This is another important measurement to take since it will give you an idea of how much space you’ll have in your bathroom to move around. For example, you’ll need to have room to move around the toilet, and you’ll want to make sure that it’s not in the way of doors.
- Height: You’re also going to want to measure the height. As we suggested earlier, you will most likely need a standard toilet, but you’ll want to consider physical capabilities. Measure the toilet from the top of the tank to the floor. This will also ensure that you’ll have space for any above-the-toilet wall storage that you want.
Other Things to Consider
- Give the toilet more room than necessary. You want to have room to move about. If you have a shower door or a bathroom door, you don’t want it to hit the front of the toilet. So, when taking measurements, also keep in mind that you want to measure the maximum and give the toilet plenty of extra space.
- Don’t forget about other features. You may also want to measure the size of the water supply line. This is what essentially carries water to the tank from the wall and enables the toilet to flush. You’ll want to measure the size of this, too, to make sure that the height of the toilet is suitable.
When buying and installing a toilet, many different factors come into play, but the process doesn’t need to be complicated. Knowing the correct measurements when you buy your new toilet will save you from a massive headache later on. It also might be a good idea to measure other parts of your bathroom, such as the distance from the doors and walls.
Make sure that you have enough space to move around in your bathroom and the toilet is a comfortable height for you and your family. Otherwise, you have tons of options for your new toilet, and you can get as creative as you’d like!