Do you ever find it difficult to slice through pieces of meat when cooking? Then it’s time to invest in a good, sharp, and high-quality butcher knife. Surprisingly, many best butcher knives are not that expensive, so you won’t need to break the bank to get quality cuts. These knives will help you to get clean cuts in any slice of meat. While they might not seem completely necessary, you’ll notice a significant difference when you get clean cuts every time.
In this article, we have compiled a list of the best butcher knives on the market. In addition, we’ve gathered all the different information you need to know when choosing a good butcher knife. Of course, it’s always essential to consider factors like quality and reliability. Getting clean cuts of meat is a luxury that every chef- professional or not- should get to experience.
Different Types of Butcher Knives
Butcher knives are just one of the many knives that professional chefs and meat-lovers use to cut meat. They are one of the most efficient since using a butcher knife makes it easier to trim and section off larger pieces of meat. However, there are some other knives that you should add to your collection, too, if you enjoy eating meat.
- Boning Knife: As the name suggests, this knife separates the meat from the bone.
- Breaking Knife: The breaking knife makes breaking through smaller bones and cartilage when sectioning off meat easier.
- Cimeter: Cimeters are used when you want to cut or trim a piece of steak.
- Cleaver: Cleavers are used for thicker pieces of meat and bone.
- Meat Carving Knife: These are used to slice and carve meat.
We have included some professional butcher knives on our list for you to choose from, but you can also use some of the knives for any of the purposes listed above.
In addition to many of the factors that we will discuss throughout the article, people also pay a lot of attention to brands when they hunt for the best butcher knives.
- Hickory: Hickory Knives are among the most well-known. Its knives feature a sturdy hardwood handle and sharp edges to help you get the job done efficiently. The brand has been on the market since 1924, making it one of the oldest butcher knives.
- Victorinox Swiss Army: This is one of the most popular brands globally for high-quality products, including Swiss Army knives, cutlery, and travel gear. The butcher knives are made in Switzerland, a country well-known for its high-quality, well, everything.
Top 5 Best Butcher Knives Sets
1. Aroma House Vegetable and Butcher Knife with German Steel
This cleaver knife from Aroma House deserves a particular spot on our list due to its excellent reviews and fantastic quality. The meat butcher knife is perfect for all cuts of meat. It is made of carbon stainless steel to improve the knife’s hardness to last you a long time.
The non-slip handle makes using this knife more effortless. It is well-balanced and features a straight blade. It is durable and great for cutting, chopping, slicing, deboning, and cleaving meats. It is polished by hand and comes with a sturdy box.
2. Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Knife Set
Here is a set that comes with all different types of knives. As we mentioned earlier, Victorinox Swiss Army is one of the most reliable brands on the market for sharp knives. They are also considered to be some of the best butcher knives for deer. This is a 4-piece set that includes a chef’s, bread, utility, and paring knife.
They all work excellently whether you want to chop, mince, slice, or dice. In addition to that, each of the knives comes with an ergonomic Fibrox Pro handle, which is meant to provide a non-slip grip even when the knife is wet. They are also well-balanced and weighted for easier handling.
These knives all meet the NSF standards for public health protection. You will be able to trust any of the knives from this brand to last a long time.
3. Dexter Russell 8” Butcher Knife Sani-Safe Series
Dexter Russell is another popular brand when it comes to kitchen knives. With this Dexter Russell Butcher knife, you will work with all different types of meat. This knife can do it all, whether you want to bone, trim, cube, or slice large sections. It has a wide blade profile to guide the cut and a curved blade to complete it. It is super sharp to provide you with effortless cuts.
In addition, the butcher knife is made of high carbon stainless steel, which will provide the right amount of sharpness and durability to last a long time. It has an ergonomic grip and goes non-slip handle that will prevent your hand from tiring as you work. The knife is also NSF certified to meet sanitary kitchen requirements.
This butcher knife is easy to clean, and it can withstand tough use.
4. Rada Cutlery Old Fashioned Butcher Knife
If you want to have an old-fashioned and large butcher knife, then this option from Rada Cutlery is right for you. You will have no difficulty splitting, chopping, and cutting with the help of this butcher knife. It has a heavy, 7.75-inch blade made of surgical-grade, high-carbon stainless steel that is also hand-sharpened.
The knife also features a curved blade and a skinning tip. In addition, it has a brushed aluminum handle designed to improve both comfort and performance as you use the butcher knife to cut into the toughest and thickest slices of meat.
Whether you want to slice small pieces, cut a strip of meat off the bone, or slice meat into small cubes meant for stews and soups, you can trust this butcher knife to do it all. It also has a dual serrated blade to ensure you will get clean and straight cuts every time.
5. Ontario Knife Old Hickory Butcher Knife 10-Inch Blade
The Ontario Knife Old Hickory Butcher Knife is the final product on our list, which is styled after some of the more old-fashioned butcher knives that professional chefs and our ancestors used. What sets this brand and butcher knife apart from others is the wooden handle that is both sturdy and ergonomic, making utilizing the blade much safer and more comfortable.
The knife is made of carbon steel, so you should not put the knife in the dishwasher. In addition, old Hickory knives require some special care, which involves applying a coating of vegetable oil to prevent rust. It’s also recommended that you sharpen the knife yourself to keep it sharp whenever you use it.
In addition, this butcher knife will develop a darkening referred to as patina, which is a good sign. It has a 10-inch blade and is crafted from the best materials.
Even More Options
- Kiaitre Cleaver Knife 7-Inch High Carbon German Steel
- Mercer Culinary Millennia 6-Inch Curved Boning Knife
- XYJ Full Tang Butcher Knife Handmade Forged
- Mueller 7-Inch Meat Cleaver Knife with Stainless Steel
- Dalstrong Butcher’s Breaking Knife Shadow Black Series
Getting a high-quality butcher knife can mean the difference between how much time you end up spending in the kitchen. Although many of the options on this list are sure to make a good impression in your kitchen, there are several factors that you will want to consider when getting a good butcher knife.
- The handle: Having a firm and sturdy hold on your butcher knife makes using one infinitely easier. You don’t want to have the knife slip while you’re using it. Many of the best handles feature contours and rivets to make the knife sit perfectly in your hand.
- The sharpness of the blade: You’re likely going to be slicing tough and thick pieces of meat, which means that you want to get the sharpest butcher knife available. A sharp and sturdy blade will make the job easier, not to mention much safer because you won’t have to use as much energy to cut through the meat and end up hurting yourself.
- Size: What size meat do you and your family usually eat? This will play a pivotal role in the type of knife that you ultimately get. If you tend to work with smaller pieces of meat, then you won’t need to use a long knife. But if you get a long knife, then working with larger pieces will be much easier.
You Might Also Like: Best Food Slicers for Meat
Many factors will go into getting the best butcher knife for your needs and your kitchen, but it doesn’t have to be made even more difficult. Any of the knives we included on this list can completely change the way you cut meat. Quality and reliability are among the essential features you should be looking for, and we have those covered.