What are a mortar and pestle used for? Why should you have one in your kitchen? This might be one of the most ancient kitchen utensils out there. Mortars and pestles are, essentially, a set that comprises a bowl and club. When you press and twist the club (the pestle) against the bowl (the mortar), you will be able to crush herbs, spices, and even pills. Of course, you can do this with a spice grinder or blender, but mortars and pestles tend to be the best option for those who want to preserve the natural flavors of the herbs and spices they are using in their foods. Mortars and pestles are used all over the world to make lots of different foods.
If you want to add this staple to your kitchen, there’s likely a lot that you will want to know. In this article, we have compiled a list of some of the best mortar and pestle sets available, as well as a complete buying guide to help you choose the best mortar and pestle set.
Different Types of Mortar and Pestle Sets
- Mortar and pestle wood: These types of mortar and pestle sets are most common in the Mediterranean. They aren’t the most durable sets, but you can trust in wood mortar and pestles to absorb flavors better than other types. That is why people in different parts of the world consider these to be the best types.
- Marble mortar and pestles: Marble is a popular option for mortars and pestles because it is sturdy and easy to clean. Marble mortars and pestles are particularly great for grinding spices. However, some marble mortar and pestles have slippery surfaces, which might not make them the best option for grinding herbs. Marble also is one of the best options for heavy-duty tasks.
- Granite mortar and pestles: These are perhaps the most common type and the most desirable. Granite mortar and pestles are sturdy, heavy-duty, and they are non-slip. These mortars and pestles are reliable and versatile, too. They tend to be unpolished, offering a bit of texture to make the mortar and pestle easier to use. You can also preserve the flavor of the herbs and spices with a granite mortar.
- ChefSofi: ChefSofi is not a well-known brand yet, but ChefSofi mortar and pestles are among the highest-rated on Amazon. They are known for being durable and releasing the flavors in herbs and spices. You can count on a mortar and pestle set from this brand to be an asset in any kitchen.
- Gorilla Grip is another great brand you can rely on to get a great mortar and pestle set for your kitchen. In addition to mortars and pestles, you can find all kinds of home products made by the brand, such as office supplies, kitchen utensils, and bathroom decor.
Top 5 Mortar and Pestle Sets
1. ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set- 6 Inch- 2 Cup Capacity
The first option on our list of the best mortar and pestle sets in 2020 is this ChefSofi mortar and pestle set. The brand is known for its high-quality mortar pestles. This spice grinder will enable you to crush all herbs and other ingredients to make sure that they bring out their full flavor in your dishes. For example, you can use this mortar and pestle set to crush nuts, seeds, ginger, garlic, and even pills.
The ChefSofi mortar and pestle set is designed to be convenient for use in any kitchen. It is made of unpolished granite, which is said to provide the best friction for smooth crushing. This ChefSofi mortar and pestle set has a 2-cup capacity and is easy to clean. Since the mortar pestle is made of granite, it will not slip on your kitchen counters. The granite pestle and mortar set is made of high-quality materials to make grinding any of your favorite spices and herbs much easier. It weighs 7 pounds and comes with a non-slip protection pad.
2. Tera 18/8 Stainless Steel Mortar and Pestle With Brush
The next spice grinder on our list is a stainless steel mortar and pestle set. The set is made of food-grade 18/8 stainless steel. The stainless steel mortar and pestle set are durable and stable while also rustproof and resistant to damage and corrosion. It is food-safe because the stainless steel does not hold onto residue or leftover odors. It is easy to clean; all you need to do is rinse it under the tap.
The mortar and pestle set comes with a translucent lid that will enable you to see the progress of your work without making a mess. In addition, the mortar pestle has a non-slip bottom that will hold it in place on your kitchen countertop. The best part of all is that it’s easy to clean and use, and you will have no trouble grinding anything from herbs to spices and even pills.
3. Gorilla Grip Original Mortar and Pestle Set With Slip Resistant Bottom
The third option on our list of the best mortar and pestle sets in 2020 is this one from Gorilla Grip. It is considered to be one of the best granite mortar and pestles sets available. It has a cup capacity of 1.5 cups. The unpolished and natural granite mortar and pestle set are heavy, sturdy, and steady, and it comes with a cushioned non-slip bottom to protect your kitchen countertops. In addition, you can use the mortar and pestle set with wet and dry ingredients without worrying about it absorbing the flavor of your ingredients.
The best part of all is that it is easy to clean and prep. It is not dishwasher safe, but all you need to do is wash with water (you don’t need to use soap) and let it dry completely, making it easy to clean. Then, if you want to season it, grinding a small amount of white rice, garlic, cumin, and pepper are all you need to do before washing and drying it again. This mortar and pestle stainless steel set is the best size for grinding herbs and spices, making it the best choice for someone who enjoys creating dressings, seasonings, and more.
4. HIC Mortar and Pestle Spice Herb Grinder Pill Crusher Set
According to customer reviews, this is also considered one of the best mortar and pestle sets. It has a non-slip bottom and is excellent for grinding spices and herbs into a fine paste or powder. In addition, the mortar and pestle set is made of fine-quality porcelain to complement any kitchen decor.
You will be able to quickly grind and break down ingredients while also speeding up food prep without having to put too much effort into the project. You can use this stone mortar for multiple purposes in the kitchen, including grinding cinnamon, peppercorns, pills, creating dry rubs, curry pastes, pestos, and so much more. The mortar and pestle set is easy to clean and use. It is dishwasher safe, so you will have no problems if you put it in the dishwasher after each use.
5. Greenco Marble Mortar and Pestle 4.5 Inches
Our last choice for the best mortar and pestles is a marble mortar and pestles set from Greenco. You can use the set for grinding herbs, spices, and pills. All the pieces in this mortar and pestle sets are made from solid white marble and grey accents. This marble mortar and pestle set will make a great accent in any kitchen, no matter what the color of your decor is.
In addition to that, the sturdy marble creates a non-slip bottom that will prevent it from falling or slipping off your kitchen countertops. The marble mortar and pestle set have an unpolished rough interior to improve grinding. It’s easy to use and clean because all you need to do is wipe the mortar and pestle clean with a damp cloth. It has a cup capacity of 30.6 ounces. The cup itself is 4.5 inches. In addition, the mortar and pestle set is easy to clean, making it one of the best options available.
Even More Options
In addition to some of the other factors that we mentioned in this article, there are some things that you may want to consider when you go to buy a mortar and pestle set that will be the best option for your kitchen.
- Material: First, you will need to consider the material you want your mortar and pestle set to be made of. As we mentioned earlier, several types of mortar and pestle sets are available, ranging from granite to wood and even marble. Some options, such as granite, might be more expensive than other options, but they will last longer and provide the right texture to make grinding herbs and spices a lot easier. Another thing to consider regarding material is what you will be using it for. Marble Mortar and pestle sets are great for grinding garlic and ginger. Stainless steel is excellent for grinding pills. Granite is generally versatile for covering all bases.
- Size: Another thing to consider is how big you want the mortar and pestle set to be. A mortar and pestle large set might not be necessary unless you plan on entertaining a lot and creating foods such as salsa, hummus, or guacamole. These tend to have a cup capacity of about 4 cups. Generally, though, mortars tend to be between 1.5 and 2 cups in size, which is the best size for grinding herbs, spices, and garlic and creating dressings or seasonings. You can also use these for grinding pills. For most people, the smaller sets will be the best option.
- Seasoning: Some people want to know if you need to season your mortar and pestle set before using it. This will depend on the particular set that you get. Some come pre-seasoned, and others come with specific instructions on how you are meant to season them. This usually consists of grinding rice, cumin, garlic, and other seasonings and then washing the mortar and pestle set before using it the first time. This can be a time-consuming process, but it’s not a reason why you shouldn’t get a mortar and pestle. If you don’t want to be bothered, then consider simply getting a pre-seasoned set.
- Unpolished interior: You also want to make sure that the mortar and pestle set you get is unpolished. That will enable the interior to be rougher, letting you have an easier time grinding herbs and spices. Smooth and glossy bowls will not make this easier for you, and you’ll have a more challenging time than necessary.
- Round shape: Another thing to consider is getting a mortar with a round bowl shape. This will also make it easier to swirl the pestle and grind the herbs, spices, or other products. However, some different shapes might be more challenging to get into with the pestle, giving you a more challenging time than needed for using something as simple as a mortar and pestle.
Overall, getting a mortar and pestle set might be a great option if you enjoy making foods with lots of seasoning. To help you in your decision, we created a list of the best mortar and pestle sets available according to customer reviews. They are easy to use, and you will have a new staple in your kitchen. You can use these for grinding herbs, spices, and even pills. Although these might be ancient, there are a reason mortars and pestles have stuck around for so long.
garbage disposal reviews
best portable ice maker
best butcher knives